Monday, February 12, 2007

WEEK 7: Who's Doing What With Wikis (#16 Thing)

Discovery exercise #16. Introduction to wikis and how libraries can use the. Webjunction article by Meredith Farkas describes library uses of wiki:
  • Subject guides
  • Catalog annotations
  • Community wiki
  • Librarian wiki
Library wikis I like:
  • Book Lovers' Wiki, where people can write reviews of books they've read. It has a "featured review" and a Summer Reading Club.
  • Library Best Practices is a wiki called Library Successes.
  • idea of an event wiki, like for ALA.
One of these day's I'll create or contribute to a wiki, but for now I'm happy with my blog. If I still taught a course, I might want students to contribute to a wiki. So far, my favorite use is for book reviews or abstracts on a topic -- such as library advocacy. I might create a Mother-Daughter Book Club wiki, even thought our daughters are no longer in elementary school and are headed to college! Time flies.

No comments: